Friday, January 21, 2011

Bengals Mini-helmet version 2.0

A couple weeks back I posted my step-by-step rundown of my custom Cincinnati Bengals helmet in which I attempted to make the Bengals helmet closer to nature.

That post can be found here: http://sportshateme.blogspot.com/2011/01/arts-and-crafts-time-my-cincinnati.html

Like anything done for the first time, I made some mistakes. Chief among them not waiting long enough for the black base layer to completely cure. When I removed the masked off stripes it removed much of the black paint with it. Looking back, it was an ambitious undertaking for my first try.

For my second try I skipped the black bottom layer and instead applied the decals over the top of the white and orange. I figured this would look cleaner and would be easier to execute.

Other than that each step was done in exactly the same way.

The finished product (note the awesome NFL helmet bedsheets):



oh and by request, the white facemask compared to the black facemask

I still like the white better. 

Thanks guys for your input and help. I really love the way it turned out and I'm thankful so many people were interested in this little project of mine. 


There you have it. If you agree, disagree, or have thoughts of your own. Share them with me at sportshatemeSHM@gmail.com OR follow us on twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/SeanMcCarthySHM



2 comments:

  1. The white facemask on the helmet with all white jersey would be the tits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome idea and you executed it really well.. the only change I'd make it's possible bringing the orange down slightly further (to the top of the ear hole perhaps), but I love what you've done and how it turned out.. I also prefer the white mask, but maybe that's contributing to why I think it needs a bit more orange.. either way, it looks awesome! Well done.

    ReplyDelete