Thursday, January 6, 2011

NFL Playoff Predictions

At this time last year I was nervously anticipating the Bengals appearance in the postseason against the New York Jets. I expected to be in the same situation again this year. The Bengals only improved personnel wise and they were coming back with the confidence they had from winning the AFC North the year before. They finished 4 and 12 and lost ten games in a row in that stretch. Needless to say, they're not in the playoffs this year. This leaves me without a real rooting interest in the NFL's postseason. Last year I was leaning heavy on the Saints because I loved their story, but other than the hope that Pittsburgh doesn't get to the Super Bowl again and If I can help it, neither do the Patriots, I'm struggling to find a team to get behind. 

Last year I picked the Bengals to win the Super Bowl because I'm an undeniable homer and my bias knows no bound. With only rooting interest against some teams my judgment is less clouded for the 2011 playoffs. So here they are, my picks for the 2010 NFL Playoffs that are sure to be wrong. 

Each pick is only for the winner of the game. No line will be provided, no score will be provided. 

AFC WIldcard
The "Peyton Manning is better than Mark Sanchez" Pick.

This is the Colts 9th consecutive playoff appearance, which ties an NFL record. To put that in perspective, the Bengals have 9 playoff appearances in their 40+ year history. The Jets have just 13 in their 50 year history. Most of the credit for this streak goes to Peyton Manning, the Colts reliable quarterback. It just goes to show what kind of standards the Colts are operating under. Their "bad" season is a 10-6 campaign and the AFC's 3 seed hosting a home wildcard game against the Jets. Wasn't that exact set of circumstances considered one of the Bengals' all-time great years one year ago?

I'm taking the Colts to beat the Jets. Despite playing in two of the last four Super Bowls the Colts have a reputation as playoff choke artists. I don't think it happens here. The Colts will outscore a Jets offense that has gotten back on track as of late, but I won't bet against Manning in a battle of Manning and Sanchez. 

The "not-yet-ready-for-the-big-show" Pick

The Chiefs remind me of the Bengals from a year ago. They run the ball well, they don't score a ton of points, and they play solid defense. They also came out of nowhere and won a weak division. The Raiders went 6-0 in the west, but 2-8 outside of it just to show what we're dealing with. 

This is the first home playoff game for the notoriously loud Arrowhead Stadium since 2003, but I think the Ravens who are making their third consecutive playoff appearance will take this one. They've won 3 road playoff games in the last two years and I don't think the Chiefs are ready to deal with the Ravens' experience...or their offense or their defense.

NFC WIldcard
The "Saints are a walking MASH unit, but you're still 7-9" Pick

The Seahawks won the NFC West with a record of 7-9, which is the first time in league history that a division has been captured with a sub .500 record. Watching the game between the Seahawks and Rams that decided the winner of the NFC West was the funniest/saddest football game I've seen in a while. It was like watching an episode of 16 & Pregnant. It was two morons arguing over something and you know nothing good is going to come out of one of them. 

The only thing better than a 7-9 team winning their division would be said 7-9 team winning a playoff game. I don't think it's going to happen, even with the Saints battered offense with Reggie Bush as the lead back. Remember when it used to be a good thing to have Reggie Bush as your featured back? Saints over Seahawks, but the Hawks will make it closer than everyone thinks. 

The "Aaron Rodgers seems like a really good dude" Pick

The Packers quarterback seems like a really good dude. Just does. I like the Packers over the Eagles. Just because. Rhyming pick. 

I don't trust Vick and I think the Packers have the defense to contain him while the Eagles won't be able to stop Aaron Rodgers on the other side. I'm going with Green Bay. 

AFC Divisional Playoffs
The "Tom Brady looks like adult Simba" Pick

With his long hair, every time Tom Brady gets on his teammates I think of that scene at the end of Lion King where Simba fights Scar. The Ravens are scar. They won last year in Foxboro in the playoffs, but like Simba the Patriots will come back older, wiser, and with cool dude surfer hair. I'm picking the Patriots in this one because they're 14-2, they play solid football all around, they don't make mistakes, and they've learned the lesson the Ravens taught them a year ago and that's be ready for Ray Rice. The Ravens defense is old, and not great against the pass. Expect Brady to exploit that. 

The "Anybody but the Steelers" Pick

At a bar on New Year's Eve a Steelers fan asked me, "how does it feeeeeel to be out of the plaaaaayofffss, Suckaaaaa?". That's actually what he said with the same tone and inflection, not making that up. I replied, "normal". Because it is normal for me. Steeler fans feel like they're entitled to the playoffs every year and it's why everyone around the league hates you, Pittsburgh. Your team wins all the time, but you aren't cool about it. Colts fans are. I'm picking the Colts and I'm not even going to explain why. This is my bias-clouded-homerific pick. 

NFC Divisional Playoffs
The "Falcons are this year's Saints" Pick

Prior to last season the Atlanta Falcons had never had back-to-back winning seasons and now they're 13-3 and the NFC's number 1 seed. Matt Ryan is becoming one of the NFL's top quarterbacks and Micheal Turner will be good to go. In a rowdy Georgia Dome, I'm taking the Falcons over the Packers. 

The "I don't trust Jay Cutler" Pick

In the playoffs a lot of a team's success hinges on the play of their quarterback. Jay Cutler of the Bears has been solid this season, but he's still a mini Brett Favre. He has a tendency to throw interceptions at the wrong time and I don't like putting him into a position of pressure. Also, I like the Saints and their experience. Going with the Saints in this rematch of the 2006 NFC championship game. 

Conference Championships
AFC
The "Haven't we done this before?" Pick

The Patriots and Colts has been the rivalry of the last decade. They met for the AFC Championship in 2003 and 2006. They've combined for 6 of the last ten AFC Championships and they have two of the best quarterbacks in the league. I think the Patriots win though. 

NFC
The "NFC South battle" Pick

The Saints and Falcons have developed a pretty nasty rivalry. The Falcons seem to have taken the luck of the Saints and will ride it to a victory to go their second super bowl in franchise history. I'm basing this pick off of the game the two teams played two weeks ago where the Falcons barely lost a game they didn't really need. I think they play with more fire in the NFC championship and avoid "Brett Favreing" themselves into losing to the Saints. 

Super Bowl 45
The "Holy-hell that's a terrible logo" Pick

That is just an absolutely terrible Super Bowl logo. It's all I can think about. If you haven't heard, and it's likely that most of you haven't, the NFL has moved away from unique and different logos for each Super Bowl and instead has instituted a "logo system". Apparently from now on, every Super Bowl logo will be a gray scale lombardi trophy atop the roman numerals with a defining feature of the host city behind it. As a logo dork, this is upsetting. 

According to the Patriots players this team is better than the one that went undefeated in 2007. They lost early to the Jets, but avenged it with a 45-3 Monday night beatdown. They had one lapse where they seemed disinterested in Cleveland, but they'll be mentally prepared without the distraction of going undefeated in the Super Bowl. Atlanta is 13-3, but the NFC was down this year without a truly great team. 

I think the Patriots win their fourth Super Bowl. 

Don't hold me to this. 

There you have it. If you agree, disagree, or have thoughts of your own. Share them with me at sportshatemeSHM@gmail.com OR follow us on twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/SportsHateMe

No comments:

Post a Comment